*Redress means remedy---
redresses (plural noun)
- In most of the Middle East, including Syria, Yemen, Somalia, Afghanistan, and Pakistan, leaders must be of the Muslim Religion
- In Thailand and Butan, leaders must be of the Buddhist faith
- In Andorra and Lebanon, leaders must be of the Christian faith
Other countries known not to have religious freedom include
- China-their country is 'officially' atheist
- Iran-punishment for anything considered offensive to the Muslim faith, is severe
- North Korea-also 'officially' atheist
- Saudi Arabia, where their written constitution is used along with the Quran, their holy book.
In this map, why do you think the U.S. is rated 'moderate' for its religious restrictions? It may be related to reactions following a religious-based crime. For example, if someone of a particular faith committed an act of violence, citing his or her religion as the basis for it, then others of that faith might be harassed or restricted in some way afterwards, even though they did not participate in the crime.
Do you practice any religion? Is it the same as your parents, or your grandparents? Has that religion changed over time and become more tolerant or more permissive, or not? Why is religion important to you?
Regardless of your religious preferences, you can thank the 1st Amendment for your right to have them.