Land O'Lakes....when we think of that, we think of dairy products.
- The company is a co-op, which means it is member-owned. It is the 2nd largest co-op in the country. It began in 1921 with representatives from 320 creameries.
- The co-op developed inspection, grading, and certification standards to insure a quality product. Other large dairies brought their standards up to be the same as Land O'Lakes.
- Land O'Lakes produces 12 billion pounds of milk every year.
- The brands Kozy Shack and Alpine Lace are a part of Land O'Lakes as well.
- The name "Land O'Lakes" was given to the company in 1924 as a reflection of Minnesota, Land of 10,000 Lakes.
- Minnesota Headquarters are in Arden Hills, MN, but Land O'Lakes has locations throughout the U.S. and 60 countries worldwide.
- Sales for Land O'Lakes were over $15 billion in 2014.
- Refinement of the Native American maiden logo was done in the 1950s by a member of the Ojibwe Tribe, Patrick DesJarlait.
--Purina---animal feed, not only for pets but for farm animals as well; and
--Winfield---A business dedicated to growing good crops, including developing seeds and seed coverings. Winfield helps make grass seed for lawns and:
- Grass for golf courses
- Lawn Management
- Sports turf
--The company acquired a satellite agency, Geosys, in 2013; it uses satellites to view if crops are doing well.
Land O'Lakes also has a commitment to feeding others in the world. Here's an interesting collection of blogs by interns who have worked with Land O'Lakes in an effort to combat world hunger:
Here are some job titles listed currently available with Land O'Lakes:
- Equipment Tech
- Law Clerk
- Seed Production
- Human Resources
- Data Analyst