- If you don't show up, you won't reap any of its benefits. If you aren't making an effort to use the advisors or tutors or both, you won't get anything out of them.
Step out of your comfort zone and try new things.
- You will be surprised at how much fun you will have, and how much you will learn in the process. Try something you never tried or were afraid of. Introduce yourself to someone you don't know yet.
We're here to help. Really, we are.
- The reason we do what we do, is to help you succeed. We are here to support you and make sure you stay on track. We will cheer for your successes and help you navigate the difficult parts. With that in mind, we will always be honest with you and tell you what you need to know, not only what you want to hear.
- We are happy to have you make contact with us to make sure you have no questions or issues. It may be a very brief check-in, but we like to have you come in, update us, and let us know that it's all good.
We want you to come in as soon as you feel like you're having a problem.
- We can check and see if that's true and help you avoid it getting worse. But, we can't if you don't come and meet with us.
We can't turn back time.
- Once a class is failed, it's failed. Once you are swamped with too much work, you don't have a lot of alternatives. Please let us help you schedule wisely so you can avoid failure
- You need to be honest with us and come in to see us regularly so we can catch problems before they get bigger.
- We are not mind readers: we don't know you're having a problem unless you come and see us.
Do not max out your student loans.
- You will may be offered more money in the form of loans than you need. Take ONLY what you need, do not take more just because it is offered. See what the least amount you need is, and take only that much. You may think you will give the extra back if you don't use it....but you will not, and will have to pay it all back plus interest.
We can help you develop good, or better, study habits. We can advise regarding time management, money management, financial aid, and transferring. Isn't that why you joined TRIO?
- These are the things that might make all the difference in your being a successful student. Use these services. Again: that's why we're here.
There really aren't any stupid questions.
- Ask away! We'll get the answers.
If you don't understand the way something is done, see your advisor.
- We'll make sure you have followed all the procedures and filled out whatever papers need filling out. Better to be completely sure than not!
Your friends mean well, but they are not advisors.
- Don't take the word of your friends as the total true answer when you have a problem. They do not advise people on a day to day basis, and do not know your scholastic history or goals. We do. Ask us. That's our job.
SSS Students: If you can't keep your appointment, or once you realize you've forgotten it, please give us a call and re-schedule. UB students: if you will miss tutoring after school, do your best to let your advisor know.
- We'll have your time reserved for you, and will be ready to focus on your needs. If we don't hear from you, we don't know what to think.
TRIO is here to help you reach your goal of a college degree: Let's work together and get it done!